Down Syndrome Ireland is inviting households, neighbours and communities to be a part of Ireland’s Biggest Street Dance and Dance4DSI on Sunday 21st June at 3 pm.
What is it?
Dance4DSI is an exciting new initiative that is asking households, neighbours and communities nationwide to come together for Ireland’s Biggest Street Dance to help raise vital funds to continue and improve upon the provision of our growing online services to support children and adults with Down syndrome and their families throughout Ireland.
We are asking people to DANCE and DONATE what they can online.
Neighbours and communities have become disconnected as a result of Covid-19 so dancing in the street is a way to reconnect with those living closest to you while staying a safe distance apart. People with any level of dance ability can take part.
As well as getting the heart and lungs pumping, dancing has been scientifically proven to boost the mood, making you feel good.
When is it taking place?
Ireland’s Biggest Street Dance takes place on Sunday 21st June to coincide with the summer solstice, generally understood to mark the first day of summer. The number 21 is also a number which is relevant to the Down syndrome community. Down syndrome occurs when there is one extra copy of chromosome 21 in cells in the body.
We’re inviting you, your neighbours and your community to join us to Dance4DSI on your *local street at 3 pm.
*Please ensure that you stay safe at all times and follow social distancing guidelines.
What is it for?
The Covid-19 crisis has adversely affected all face to face services provided by DSI and as a result, the way in which these services are provided has had to change dramatically. Supports and programmes are now undertaken remotely and on digital platforms. With funds raised through Dance4DSI, Down Syndrome Ireland will be able to continue and improve these online services.
Life is too short not to have a good time so bust a move and Dance4DSI.
Now the important part – the steps to getting involved!
Step 1 – Help us spread the word
- Download and share our Dance4DSI poster on your social media page using the hashtag #Dance4DSI. You can also download and display the poster in your window so your neighbours know you’re supporting this exciting initiative.
- Now, tell all your friends and neighbours and encourage them to get involved in a Dance4DSI on YOUR street.
- You can also download and print our colouring-in poster which the younger dancers in your house can paint or colour in!
Step 2 – Dance & donate
- We are asking people to DANCE on Sunday 21st June at 3 pm and be part of Ireland’s Biggest Street Dance! Simply gather with your neighbours on your street, play your favourite upbeat, summer music and have a boogie!
- Please DONATE what you can online through our website.
Step 3 – Follow & share
- Please do share your videos and photos of you dancing in the street for DSI using the hashtag #Dance4DSI and tag us @downsyndromeireland – if you’re shy, just show us your happy feet dancing but do get involved!
Here’s one of our Kildare Branch members, Jennifer Malone, with her family and neighbours getting some practice in before Sunday 21st June! Well done to her Mum, Donna, for marking out the safe social distance on the ground in chalk – genius!
If you have any questions, please contact Alison Kelly from our Fundraising Team at firstname.lastname@example.org