The First Big Step – Transition to Primary School conferences will benefit both parents, teachers, SNA’s and other professionals from the knowledge and expertise of the individual presenters and topics covered. As an attendee, you will gain an insight into the learning profile of a young child with Down syndrome and practical strategies to support them in the classroom environment.
Topics to be covered at the conference may include:
- The Process of Transitioning to Primary School
- Choosing a school
- Additional supports
- Facilitating the transition to Primary School
- Early Primary Literacy
- Early Primary Numeracy
- Guest speakers will also present at the conferences from the following disciplines audiology, psychology and occupational therapy – Dublin (Audiologist), Mayo (Behaviour Specialist) and Cork (Occupational Therapist).
We welcome all people who are part of the team supporting the student with Down syndrome, including parents, teachers, SNAs and other professionals
Due to the high cost of hosting a conference, each conference must have a sufficient number of participants to run the event. A decision will be taken a week prior to each of the below dates in relation to cancellation of a particular conference (due to insufficient number booked).
Any attendee already booked will be given the option of transferring to another venue or having a refund.
Conference dates, locations and time
This conference will be held in a number of different locations over the coming months, our final dates are:
- February 28th: Great National Hotel, Ballina, Co.Mayo.
- March 14th: Clayton Silversprings Hotel, Cork.
Registration: 9: 30 am
Conference: 10 am – 4.00 pm
*A light lunch will be provided.
To book your ticket, please select the correct option below.
Please note, there are two ticket price options available, €30 and €50.
- The €30 ticket is a discounted option for members of a Down Syndrome Ireland Branch or a person attending in support of a member (details required at purchase).
- The €50 ticket is the standard price for those who wish to attend (non-members / not supporting a member).