Down Syndrome Ireland, Galway Branch has over 250 members of all ages throughout the county. We are a voluntary organisation managed by a committee of parent members. Our mission is to provide information, support and friendship to people with Down syndrome and their families in County Galway, working towards an improved quality of life with respect and acceptance of people with Down syndrome as valued members of their community. We recognise the importance of early intervention and developing communication ability. We aim to create opportunities for social and personal inclusion and integration across the age spectrum.
We employ three speech and language therapists (one full time and three part-time/consultancy) and we employ a part-time administrator for our ‘Voices for Down Syndrome Galway’ and ‘Little Owls’ Speech and Language Therapy Projects.
Treasurer, Michael O'Donnell - firstname.lastname@example.org
Education and Therapy
- Speech and Language Therapy (Voices for Down Syndrome Galway)
- New Parent Support
- ‘Little Owls’ Early Communication Parent and Toddler Group
About “Voices for Down Syndrome Galway” Speech & Language Therapy Project: Voices for Down Syndrome Galway was set up in 2005 by a group of parents from our branch. We aim to provide a dedicated speech and language therapy service for branch members. The project currently employs two Senior Speech and Language Therapists and presently over 70 children and adults are receiving regular therapy.
The Voices for Down Syndrome Galway clinic is based in NUIG, working in collaboration with their Speech Therapy Department, giving students valuable clinical experience in exchange for use of state of the art therapy clinics and access to some of the leading academics in speech and language therapy in the country.
Today, the project remains parent run and parent driven. Receiving no state funding, the entire project is reliant on charitable donations and fundraising events, requiring €150,000 to sustain itself annually. The service is provided free or charge, but members are encouraged to donate €350 annually towards the project and help with fundraising initiatives.
If you would like to learn more about Voices for Down Syndrome Galway or donate to our project, visit our website www.voicesforgalway.org.
About “Little Owls” Early Communication Parent and Toddler Group Sessions: Little Owls is a parent and toddler group which targets early communication for branch members’ children aged over 1 year until they commence preschool. It is held fortnightly at 35 Lower Newcastle, Galway. It is run in partnership with the Early Intervention Community Nurse Service and a Speech and Language Therapist who is contracted by our branch. This service is provided free of charge to our members.
Life Skills and Social Groups
Sports and Fitness
- Play Ball
DSG West Centre
- Receptionists: Jude and Patrick
- Opening Hours: Mon to Wed from 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 087 7110021
- Facebook: Down-Syndrome-Galway-West
- Address: Down Syndrome Galway West Centre, An Fúaran, Moycullen, Co Galway Eircode: H91 CR26
DSG East Centre
- Receptionist: Maura
- Opening Hours: Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri from 10 am - 2.00 pm
- Phone: 087 186 1914
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: Down Syndrome Galway East Centre, Unit 7 Cois Chláir, Claregalway, Co Galway, H91 A2F4.
Voices for Down Syndrome Galway project
- This is our Speech and Language Therapy project. If you need any information on it please contact:
- Carmel Hannon, Project Coordinator for Voices for Down Syndrome Galway
- Mobile: 087 6448277
- Email: email@example.com
- Facebook: Down Syndrome Galway & voices for down syndrome Galway
Galway Regional Resource Officer
- Maura Dolan
- Mobile: 087 4211 345
- Email: Maura.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.downsyndromegalway.ie
- Facebook: Down Syndrome Galway / Voices For DS Galway
- Instagram: @downsyndromegalway
- Twitter: @DownSyndromeGal
- LinkedIn: Down Syndrome Galway