Down Syndrome Ireland has co-signed a document on the rights of people with disabilities during the COVID-19 period. The statement calls on the government to adhere to the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and in particular:
- Provide full accessible information on all aspects of COVID-19
- Ensure equal treatment in the provision of healthcare
- Ensure people with disabilities are involved in decisions about their treatment
- Provide support for families caring for a person with a disability, including social and educational supports
- Provide advocacy services as needed
Read the full statement from disability organisations, including DSI, and activists regarding Ireland’s obligations under the UNCRPD and calling on the government to take specific actions to ensure rights are protected and promoted during the pandemic.