Tax Efficient Giving
Did you know that Down Syndrome Ireland can claim a 45% tax refund from the Revenue Commissioners on donations from supporters in excess of €250? It costs you nothing extra – all we need is your signature!
Following changes in 2013 to the Revenue Commissioners charity tax back scheme, donations of €250 or more are eligible for a tax refund for both PAYE taxpayers and the Self-Assessed. That means that your donation of €250 is worth €362 to Down Syndrome Ireland and will go even further in helping us make a difference.
Here’s how it works:
- In order for us to claim a tax refund on your donation, you must have donated €250 or more to Down Syndrome Ireland in a one year period and within the last 4 years
- This can be from a one-off donation or regular direct debit donations. For example, a monthly direct debit of €21 for 12 months totals €252, which qualifies for the tax refund
- For your donation to be eligible for a tax refund, you must have paid adequate income tax and/or capital gains tax for that year and live in the Republic of Ireland
- We will not ask you to reveal any personal tax details. All we need is your PPS number and your signature and we commit to retaining this information securely and only for the purpose of claiming tax refunds on your donations
Simply complete a CHY3 Enduring Certificate and return it to us. This form will be valid for 5 years from the date of signing (unless you choose to cancel it)
- If you make another donation of over €250 to us during this period, we won’t need to ask you to complete another form and we can claim tax relief on your donations (totaling €250 or more in any year) for a 5 year period
- Completing a CHY3 Enduring Certificate does not commit you to future donations – it simply helps to reduce our admin costs and saves you from being asked to complete a form each year
If you prefer, you can complete a CHY4 Annual Certificate for just one year at a time
- Please note that this scheme applies only to personal donations. Sponsorship donations or money raised from a collection or raffle will not qualify
How much is the tax refund worth?
By returning a CHY3 or CHY4 form to us, this allows your very kind donation to go even further. It is worth 45% of your donation which equates to a further €112 on top of your €250 donation; €224 on top of your €500 donation; €448 on top of your €1,000 donation; and so on.
What do I do next?
Send your completed forms to Down Syndrome Ireland, Unit 3 Park Way House, Western Parkway Business Park, Ballymount Drive, Dublin 12 and we will look after the rest!
If you have any questions about the Charity Tax Relief scheme, you can call Mark O’Doherty on 01 563 2463 or email email@example.com.
Thank you so much for your support.