VACANCY: National Speech and Language Therapy Coordinator
National Speech and Language Therapy Coordinator
Scope of the role
At Down Syndrome Ireland (DSI) we are a dynamic and progressive organization dedicated to enhancing the lives of individuals with Down syndrome. We provide support, information, and advocacy services to people with Down syndrome and their families across Ireland.
Our mission is to empower and enable individuals with Down syndrome to achieve their full potential and lead fulfilling lives.
We are seeking a passionate and experienced National Speech & Language Coordinator to join our nationwide team. The National Speech & Language Coordinator will play a crucial role in supporting our therapists across the country, facilitating knowledge sharing, skills development, and performance and service improvement. Additionally, the Coordinator will be responsible for developing a specialized speech and language program/model tailored to the unique needs of individuals with Down syndrome and their families.
Based in our National Office, you would be part of an experienced professional team who are passionate about changing lives.
You will be responsible for the development of best practice, evidence-led therapy services across Down Syndrome Ireland. You will oversee the current services, which are comprised of highly experienced therapists based DSI branches, and specialised therapists working within the private sector who are contracted to provide services in DSI branches.
You will work with local branches who do not currently provide SLT to assess the local needs and barriers, and to advise and support the development of new services where needed.
You will gather statistics regarding therapy provision and therapy outcomes, collaborating with the National Research and Support Specialist to add to the current evidence base. You will document best practice and develop information and case studies which can be used to advocate for improvements in state services.
You will identify topics for CPD based on feedback from therapists and arrange an annual Down syndrome SIG meeting to address these topics and to share research and good practice.
There will be an annual budget for CPD, and peer supervision will be facilitated.
Down Syndrome Ireland
Down Syndrome Ireland (DSI) is the national charity for people with Down syndrome and their families in Ireland, supporting over 3,500 members across 25 branches nationwide. We are working to achieve an optimal quality of life for people with Down syndrome, as equally valued, independent citizens.
Qualifications and Experience
- Highly experienced Speech & Language Therapist with a background in intellectual disability services
- Minimum of 5 years’ previous experience
- Current CORU registration
- Current IASLT membership
- Experience of co-ordinating or managing therapy services for children and adults with Intellectual Disability including people with Down syndrome.
- Experience of documenting outcomes and developing clinical pathways.
- Experience delivering training workshops to parents and teachers
- Experience with both adult and paediatric clients
Roles and Responsibilities
Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee, co-ordinate and further develop the Speech & Language Therapy services within Down Syndrome Ireland.
- Collaborate with existing therapists to explore best practice and add to the existing knowledge base regarding effective therapy for people with Down syndrome.
- Provide supervision and support for branch therapists.
- Work with local branches to advise and support the development of new services where needed.
- Work towards a unified approach to therapy provision across the organisation
- Develop evidence based clinical pathways which can be shared with the HSE.
- Identify topics for CPD and arrange an annual Down syndrome SIG meeting.
Reporting to the CEO
Key working relationships
National Office Team
Local branch network
Hours of work and location
The post is fulltime, working 40 hours per week and is flexible in the design of the weekly roster. The role is based primarily in our location in our National Office, Dublin 12 with regular travel to our nationwide branches.
Competitive & Based on experience
How to apply
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV.